When there is a great deal of wood that must be chopped a wood splitter is a good idea. There are a variety of reasons that you might want to purchase a wood splitter. Chopping firewood or making furniture is two of the most popular reasons for using a log splitter. You can find a good quality log splitter in any store that sells logging equipment.
Or if you are industrious and need to save some money, you can build your own log splitter. There is research and information available online that can help you to build your own splitter.
The choice of hydraulic used log splitters is a worthwhile investment when you are looking at the different types of splitters that are available. They are usually fired with a gas or diesel engine.
The way these splitters work is to connect an oil pump to the engine that will give the power to the hydraulic cylinder. You will have to maintain this type of log splitter by changing the oil and performing other preventative maintenance tasks.
The features that you will find in a hydraulic log splitter are a five to eight horsepower engine that allows you to choose the particular horsepower that you want. You can choose a smaller engine model that is appropriate for home use.
The home models that are available will give you ten to twenty five tons of force for splitting logs. And it has a two stage oil pump.
The most popular use of a personal hydraulic log splitter is to cut the wood on your property into firewood. Of course, the tree will have to be taken down and all of the branches removed before you can begin splitting the wood. Once you get going with the splitting you should be able to complete the job in a matter of hours. If you tried to do the same job manually, you would find that it could take you days.
You should make sure that you are operating your log splitter in the safest manner. Here are some safety tips that must be followed.
- Children should not be allowed around the splitter because of the danger of flying pieces of wood.
- Of course, children should not be allowed to use the splitter under any circumstances.
- Always wear steel-toed boots to keep your feet safe while you are using the splitter.
- Loose fitting clothing can get caught in the splitter and cause injury. Always make sure that your clothing is not loose.
- Safety glasses must be worn at all times.
- Read the instructions from the manufacturer before you even turn the machine on.
- Keep the area around your splitter clear of other people. There can be a large amount of debris flying through the air while you are operating your log splitter.
- Never operate a log splitter or any other machinery while you are under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Make sure that the area is dry and not slippery.
- Do not use the log splitter for any other purpose than splitting logs.
- Keep all of the safety equipment in place. The safety guards are there for a reason.
The log splitter can be used for other wood cutting purposes such as making furniture. You must have some other equipment when you make furniture with your log splitter. Pick up some guidebooks and videos that can give you some great instruction for making your own furniture.
Some other things that you will need for furniture making are clamps, chisels, a mallet, and a tenon. There are other pieces of equipment that you will need to make furniture but this list will get you started.
The guidebooks and instructional videos will give you more information on the different type of tools that can be used.